Friday, January 28, 2011

A Good Reader

Nabokovs Good Readers and Good Writers was a very interesting. Although it was fairly hard to understand I believe I understood a good majority of what he was trying to get at. Having an open mind when reading a book seemed to be a main idea of what a good reader consisted of. When a book has certain thoughts and ideas towards things its better as a reader to have an open mind towards them so that you may enjoy the book. I couldn’t agree more with this thought, I’ve read books in my past in school where they were subjected to certain events I wasn’t too fond of. I believe if I had more of an open mind towards the book I may have enjoyed it more and understood it more.
But others may have other feelings and beliefs about good readers; I believe good readers are ones that read slowly and make sure they understand what they are truly reading. When I say slowly and understand I mean while reading we face times where we don’t quite understand what we are reading. Most people just rush it and continue on with the book. A good reader would stop, think about what is being read and when they finally figure it out they will continue on. This will help the reader understand everything in the text and have a better understanding on the book. Personally I don’t believe I do this enough and I feel like I rush through books that I don’t understand. But being a good reader is crucial when trying to read and understand writing.



No comments:

Post a Comment